Monday, November 23, 2009

Click4London Official Website Launched

Dear Bloggers,

Click4London has been established to provide comprehensive information and assistance to International Students, seeking to Study in London based Universities, Colleges & other higher education institutions.

International Students from more than 200 hundreds different nationalities (total: 90,000 international students) have chosen to study in London based institution due to its quality of education, excellent study experience and countless opportunities that it offers.

So, we believe, when International Students -Think of Study, they Think of London.

If you are the one who thinks as we think, then do get in touch with us and we will make sure that you have all the information and help at hand to experience the world class education.

Click4London (Think of Study-Think of London)
Part of Allied Consultants

Monday, September 28, 2009

Register of Sponsors (Tier 4):

Register of Sponsors Licensed Under the Points-Based System
Overseas students looking to study in United Kingdom are now required to enrol in PBS- Tier 4 licensed education institutions. To find out the updated list of license holder institutions please click on the following weblink;

Universities in London

Birkbeck University of London*
Brunel University
Central School of Speech and Drama
City University
Conservatoire for Dance and Drama
Courtauld Institute of Art*
Goldsmiths, University of London*
Imperial College London
Institute of Cancer Research*
Institute of Education*
King's College London*
Kingston University London
London Business School*
London Metropolitan University
London School of Economics & Political Science*
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine*
London South Bank University
Middlesex University
Queen Mary, University of London*
Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication
Roehampton University
Rose Bruford College
Royal Academy of Music*
Royal College of Art
Royal College of Music
Royal Holloway University of London*
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London*
School of Pharmacy*
St George’s, University of London*
St Mary's University College (Twickenham)
Thames Valley University
The Open University in London
The Royal Veterinary College*
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
University College London - UCL*
University of East London
University of Greenwich
University of the Arts London
University of Westminster
Wimbledon School of Art

School of Advanced Study*
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
Institute of Commonwealth Studies
Institute of English Studies
Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies
Institute of Historical Research
Institute for the Study of the Americas
Warburg Institute

College Map in London

All Colleges:
Barking College View details Find subjects
Barnet College View details Find subjects
Bexley College View details Find subjects
Bromley College of Further & Higher Education View details Find subjects
BSix Brooke House Sixth Form College View details Find subjects
Capel Manor College View details Find subjects
Carshalton College View details Find subjects
Christ the King Sixth Form College View details Find subjects
City & Islington College View details Find subjects
City Lit View details Find subjects
City of Westminster College View details Find subjects
College of North East London View details Find subjects
College of North West London View details Find subjects
Coulsdon College View details Find subjects
Croydon College View details Find subjects
Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College View details Find subjects
Enfield College View details Find subjects
Greenwich Community College View details Find subjects
Hackney Community College View details Find subjects
Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute View details Find subjects
Harrow College View details Find subjects
Havering College of Further & Higher Education View details Find subjects
Havering Sixth Form College View details Find subjects
Hillcroft College View details Find subjects
John Ruskin College View details Find subjects
Kensington & Chelsea College View details Find subjects
Kingston College View details Find subjects
Lambeth College View details Find subjects
Lewisham College View details Find subjects
Leyton Sixth Form College View details Find subjects
Mary Ward Centre View details Find subjects
Merton College View details Find subjects
Morley College View details Find subjects
Newham College of Further Education View details Find subjects
Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc) View details Find subjects
Orpington College of Further Education View details Find subjects
Redbridge College View details Find subjects
Richmond Adult Community College View details Find subjects
Richmond-upon-Thames College View details Find subjects
Sir George Monoux College View details Find subjects
South Thames College View details Find subjects
Southgate College View details Find subjects
Southwark College View details Find subjects
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College View details Find subjects
St Dominic's Sixth Form College View details Find subjects
St Francis Xavier 6th Form College View details Find subjects
Stanmore College View details Find subjects
Tower Hamlets College View details Find subjects
Uxbridge College View details Find subjects
Waltham Forest College View details Find subjects
West Thames College View details Find subjects
Westminster Kingsway College View details Find subjects
Woodhouse College View details Find subjects
Working Men's College View details Find subjects

Health, Safety & Travelling

London offers one of the world class facilities in HealthCare and international student can benefit from affordable high quality health care services.

Students on courses lasting 6 months or more can get treatment from the National Health Service (NHS). You will not have to pay for hospital treatment, but you may have to pay for some dental treatment and a standard charge for medicines prescribed by a doctor, depending on your income.

For further information from UKCISA about this topic, including information for if your course is for less than 6 months, download the Guidance Notes, Welfare Benefits and Keeping Healthy.

London is generally a safe city to visit and study. Government agencies including London Metropolitan Police department work day & night to protect Londoners and visitors to the capital from crime, fire, accidents and other emergencies

As with any unfamiliar city, it is important to ensure you are aware of the basic safety and security issues. Much of the advice is common sense, but it you should take a moment to familiarise yourself with the basics.

Some of the website providing comprehensive information on the safety issues:

London is the gateway to the world with more flights and connections to destinations worldwide than any other city. Student can also take advantage of London's high-speed train links to get to mainland Europe in just over two hours.

While studying in London you can also explore the rest of the UK with a multitude of train and coach journeys regularly departing from all over London.

Travelling in London has also never been easier or cheaper for students. Students can get an Oyster Card and obtain a discount of 30% on a variety of travel cards. For further information go to the Transport for London web site where you can also plan your journey around the city.

Once you are in London, you can jump on the world famous 'tube' and head underground for the quickest and easiest way to get around. Or take in the streets of London with trip on one of London’s red double-decker buses, or take a ride on London’s famous black cabs and travel in style and enjoy a classic London experience

If you want to see the sights, hit the streets and walk around central London. You'll be amazed at just how close together the sights and shops of London really are. Visit to plan your routes ahead of your arrival.

Before departure, download the Study London Map which shows you where all universities are located together with London’s world famous attractions.

Student Accommodation

London offers a large variety of student accommodation, from private accommodation to the university hall of residence.

London can cater for all your accommodation needs. Most of London's universities and colleges offer accommodation for international students.

Private accommodation ranges from penthouses to studio flats available to rent throughout London and you can choose from a range of superb locations throughout central London and its suburbs. Student can also choose to live in flat share/house share and some of the accommodation are based on short-stay homestay, bed and breakfast and self catering.

For further information, download the UKCISA Guidance Note, 'Accommodation for international students'. You can also visit International Students House for help with both short and long-term accommodation.

For a comprehensive guide to renting accommodation in London please download the informative London Student Housing Guide.

Study Options:

Whatever the level, institutions based in London has the right course for you, delivered through centres of excellence in every field. You are provided with wide choice of study options means you will get an education tailored to your individual needs.

Postgraduate study and MBAs:
You can head start your career with a UK postgraduate degree or MBA (Master of Business Administration). Most of the Postgraduate Courses offered in the UK, last just one year, giving you a competitive edge compare to study in USA/Canada or Australia. The UK is a world-leader in innovation and many university facilities are state-of-the-art. Followings are some of the fields of study that institutions offer in London.

Some of the favourite
Postgraduate Courses in London:
Creative Arts And Design
English Language
Computing And Mathematical Science
Engineering And Technology
Business And Administrative Studies
Travel, Tourism And Leisure
Applied And Pure Sciences
Social Sciences And Communications
Agriculture And Related Subjects
Health And Medicine
Architecture, Building And Planning

Undergraduate Study
Institutions based in London have world class undergraduate programmes offered in vast array of academic & professional fields. Some of the fields are given as follows;

Some of the favourite Undergraduate Courses in London:
Creative Arts And Design
English Language
Computing And Mathematical Science
Engineering And Technology
Business And Administrative Studies
Travel, Tourism And Leisure
Applied And Pure Sciences
Social Sciences And Communications
Agriculture And Related Subjects
Health And MedicineArchitecture, Building And Planning

Vocational & Pre-University:
British Education emphasis on building vocational or career based qualification. Many institutions in London offer wide variety of qualifications that have been accepted as international currency in the workplace. Institutions in London also offer pre-university qualification e.g., for those with no formal qualification but like to gain access to the university degree. There are plenty of reasons for choosing to study a career-based or pre-university qualification in the UK. A-levels, BTEC National Diplomas and NVQs are recognised and respected all over the world as quality vocational and pre-university programmes. Some of the qualifications are as follows;

Vocational & Pre-University :
GCSE and Equivalent
A/AS Level
Vocational & BTEC
Access & Foundation
Foundation degrees

Study English Language:
London is the capital of English language training providers. You can view a list of the providers by clicking the weblink below;

Visa information:
New student immigration system launched on 31st March’09 in UK, (PBS), Points-based system-Tier 4 which aims to simplify application process.The aim of the tier 4 immigration service is to provide a more user-friendly, transparent route to studying in the UK. There are three categories of student visa that you will be able to apply for. Each category has its own separate set of criteria that must be satisfied.

General student:
This category includes students studying in Britain at or above degree level in a publicly funded institution, or engaging in more than 15 hours of study per week. In this category you are permitted to work for 20 hours each week during term time and full-time during holiday periods. If you have any dependants they will be able to join you.

School student:
This category includes students in full time study at an independent school up to the age of 18. Working hours are the same as the general student category but dependents are not permitted.

Working student:
This category caters to students on work experience courses or placements. Working hours will be the same as the other two categories and dependants will be permitted in instances where the principal applicant will be in the country in excess of 12 months.

Further explanations:
If you are studying at degree level or above, you can stay for the full duration of your course, up to four years.

If your course is longer than four years, you can apply for a UK Visa Extension to finish your course.

If you are studying below degree, your Student Visa will allow you to stay for up to three years.

It is important that students should read and research the visa requirements. UK Student visa is easy & straightforward for genuine students looking to study in the UK.

The new student route under the points based system introduces five key changes to the current system. Adult students applying to study abroad in the UK must:

* Have a proven track record in studying before coming to the UK.
* Have recognised qualifications equivalent to National Qualification Framework (NQF) in the UK education system.
* Produce evidence of sufficient funds to pass a maintenance test.
* Produce documents used to obtain an offer from the university or college sponsoring, such as qualification certificates.

To be able to travel to the United Kingdom as a general student after the end of March 2009, adult students must pass a points-based assessment and score 40 points.

Visa letter from education provider = 30 pointsMaintenance fees to cover course fees and living expenses = 10 points.

What is a visa letter?
It is an offer letter from your education provider who is your immigration sponsor, including information about you, your sponsor, the course, and your finances.

What is a licensed sponsor?
The licensed sponsor is the university or college you have chosen to enrol with. Global Visas have extensive partnerships with many schools, colleges and universities on the tier 4 register of sponsors. Find the tier 4 licensed sponsor list by clicking the link below;

Working while you study:
Unlike a UK visit visa, or travel visa application, applicants for study permits may take part-time or holiday work but must not engage in the following:

* Work for more than 20 hours a week during term time (except in vacation periods), unless it is a work placement and part of a study program and the educational institution agrees.
* Conduct business, be self-employed, or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer.
* Work full-time in a permanent job.

Depending on what you have studied, if you want to stay on in the United Kingdom once you have successfully got your qualification, you may be eligible to switch to the Tier 1 - Post-Study Work visa.

The Post-Study Work category of the Tier 1 visa is designed as a transitional route to allow the most talented non-EEA nationals graduating from UK universities to transfer into a work or business visa.

The Post-Study Work visa replaces both the previous International Graduates Scheme (IGS) and the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme, allowing successful applicants to transfer into any other tier 1 visa category under the Points Based System, if they can meet the specific requirements of that category.

Post-Study Work visa holders will also be able to transfer into tier 2, which replaces the previous system of UK work permits.

Spouse and Dependent Immigration:
Spouse immigration is only permitted for married partners and unlike a Fiance visa or UK De Facto visa, often known as an unmarried partner visa, your common-law or conjugal partner is not allowed to join you.

Married partners will be granted leave to remain for a period equal to that granted to the student. During this time, they must be able to support themselves either independently or with the help of the applicant.

It is important that you research the visa requirements necessary for studying in the UK. For comprehensive and up-to-date information on students visas for the UK visit the UKCISA, the British Council or UK Visas websites.

Scholarships & Funding:
There are varieties of scholarships available for international students. Many scholarships only cover postgraduate degrees; others cover courses fees for specific subjects; while some are only available for specific institutions.

Some scholarships & funding are merit based and others are a part tuition fee waiver.

If you require financial assistance to invest in your potential, you can research the links below to find scholarship information available to students from your country wishing to study in the UK.

* British Council UK scholarship information: search an online database with hundreds of awards from UK universities, charities and professional bodies.
* Visit your chosen university's website to discover if they can provide you with a scholarship to study in the UK.


UK Education system has long been admired among international students and attracted the world elites. Education has always been a top priority in Britain and that is why efforts has been made to implement unrivalled quality assurance and academic audit systems. All academic & professional institutions are obliged to meet stringent standards set by government agencies. Standards are high not just in teaching but also includes world class libraries & learning centres with state of art IT facilities and superb students accommodations.

Higher education:
Higher education is provided by three main types of institutions: universities, colleges and institutions of higher education and art and music colleges. All universities are autonomous institutions, particularly in matters relating to courses. They are empowered by a Royal Charter or an Act of Parliament.

Department for Innovation, Universities & Skills (DIUS) brings together functions from two former departments. Science and innovation responsibilities from the Department of Trade and Industry. Skills, further and higher education from the Department for Education and Skills. This department is also responsible for all universities. Non-university higher education institutions also provide degree courses, various non-degree courses and postgraduate qualifications. Some may offer Higher Degrees and other qualifications offered by most non-university higher education institutions are validated by external bodies such as a local university or the Open University.

Stages of studies:
Non-university level post-secondary studies (technical/vocational type):

Non-university level:
Non-university level post-secondary technical education is provided by technical colleges, colleges of further and higher education and accredited independent colleges which offer a large number of courses leading to a vocational qualification.

Main Laws/decrees governing higher education
Decree: Education Reform Act Year: 1988
Decree: Further and Higher Education Act Year: 1992
Decree: Higher Education Act Year: 2004

The Business & Technology Education Council (BTEC) was a subdegree-conferring council in the United Kingdom until 1996, when its functions were transferred to Edexcel. The council offered further and higher education awards, particularly to polytechnics, and in particular the BTEC Nationals and BTEC Higher Nationals awards which remain prominent.

University level studies:

University level first stage: Undergraduate stage:
This stage lasts for three or four years and leads to the award of a Bachelor's Degree in Arts, Science or other fields (Technology, Law, Engineering, etc.). The Bachelor's Degree is conferred as a Pass Degree or an Honours Degree where studies are more specialized. The Bachelor's Honours Degree is classified as a First Class Honours, a Second Class Honours or a Third Class Honours. In some universities and colleges of higher education, a two-year course leads to a Diploma in Higher Education (DipHE). This is a recognized qualification in its own right. Some universities have adopted the credit-unit or modular system of assessment. In some universities students must follow a foundation course before embarking on the course leading to the Bachelor's Degree. Students of foreign languages are sometimes required to study or work for an additional year in the country of the target language. Sandwich courses generally involve an additional year's work experience. Some institutions have introduced accelerated two-year degrees which require students to study during the normal vacation period. It is now rare for the class of degree to depend entirely on student performance in final examinations. Most institutions base a component of the degree class on examinaions taken during the period of study, especially those taken at the end of the second year, and many also use some form of continuous assessment. The majority of degree courses also involve the research and writing of an extensive thesis or dissertation, normally making up around 50% of the final year assessment.

Academic year:
*Classes from: Sep to: Jul
*Long vacation from: 1 Jul to: 30 Sep
Languages of instruction: English
*(varies among institutions)

University level second stage: Master's Degree, Master of Philosophy:
Study at master's level is at the forefront of an academic or professional discipline. Students must show originality in their application of knowledge and advancement of knowledge. The normal entry requirement for a Master's degree is a good Bachelor's degree. A Master's degree is normally studied over one year. Some Master's programmes, including the M.Eng, are integrated in undergraduate programmes and result in a postgraduate qualification, not an undergraduate one, after four years of study.At a university, after two years of additional study and the successful presentation of a thesis, students obtain the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) degree.

University level third stage: Doctor of Philosophy, Higher Doctorate:
After usually three years' further study beyond the Master's Degree, the candidate may present a thesis for the Doctorate of Philosophy (D.Phil. or Ph.D.).A further stage leads to Higher Doctorates which may be awarded by a university in Law, Humanities, Science, Medical Sciences, Music and Theology after a candidate, usually a senior university teacher, has submitted a number of learned, usually published, works.

Teacher education:

Training of pre-primary and primary/basic school teachers:
Primary school teachers must hold a first degree and a Postgraduate Certificate of Education awarded by a university or college of higher education. Alternatively, they must hold a BEd Degree and have a qualified teacher status which can be obtained after successful completion of an approved course of initial teacher training (ITT). The main types of ITT courses are the one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education course or the Bachelor of Education (BEd) course.

Training of secondary school teachers:
Secondary school teachers must hold a first degree and a Postgraduate Certificate of Education awarded by a university or college of higher education. Alternatively they must hold a BEd Degree and have a qualified teacher status which can be obtained after successful completion of an approved course of initial teacher training (ITT). The main types of ITT courses are the one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education course or the Bachelor of Education (BEd) course which normally lasts for four years.

Training of higher education teachers:
Higher education teachers normally hold a higher degree.

Non-traditional studies:

Distance higher education:
The Open University offers instruction for part-time study for degrees and other courses by correspondence, supplemented by radio and television broadcasts, residential summer schools and an extensive counselling and tutorial service which operates through local study centres. Three main types of course are available: undergraduate level courses, postgraduate courses and study packs. They are offered as part of Certificate, Diploma or Degree programmes. Undergraduate students take a series of courses which are worth one half or one full credit. A one-credit course is estimated to require 350-400 hours of study. An Ordinary Degree BA or BSc is awarded to students who have obtained six credits; an Honours degree (BA or BSc Honours) to students who have obtained two of these credits at the higher levels of study. Students may choose from a selection of 134 courses at four levels of difficulty. Up to three credits may be allowed for previous qualifications such as an initial teacher training qualification or a Higher National Diploma. The Open College offers vocational and professional training often leading to recognized qualifications. The Open College of Arts, set up in 1987, is affiliated to the Open University. It aids students of the arts who wish to study at home. It receives no government funding but as a registered charity it receives donations from other organizations.

Lifelong higher education:
Extra-mural education is provided by universities or other institutions of higher education to adults living in the region served by the institutions and who do not belong to the regular student body. Higher education institutions may also choose to offer courses that are specifically intended to meet the needs of the local community. Thus they may offer part-time courses providing professional updating which people attend on day-release from work or attend in the evening, or leisure courses on local History or Geography, or Language and Literature classes.

Higher education training in industry
There are sandwich courses in which an undergraduate course is incorporated with periods of industrial training. The duration of study for an Honours Degree is four years. Admission conditions vary enormously and courses are offered only in universities which were formerly colleges of advanced technology.

Other forms of non-formal higher education
Foundation degree programmes were finalized in autumn 2000 for the first students to begin the courses in 2001. Foundation degrees are employment-related higher education qualifications designed to equip students with work-related skills.The sectors include construction, creative industries, e-business, e-commerce, finance, information technology and law. Foundation degrees have been designed with employers to provide an employment base at associate professional and higher technician level. They are awarded by universities and higher education colleges. A Foundation Degree can be used as a starting point for further study, either a related Honours Degree or further professional development in the workplace. There are no specific entry requirements and it is up to the college or university providing the degree to decide if a candidate is eligible.

UK NARIC - the National Agency responsible for providing information and expert opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from over 180 countries worldwide.

As the National Agency, managed on behalf of the UK Government, provide the only official source of information on international qualifications through quick and easy access to the advice you need.

Why Study in London?

London is the best place in the world to be a student. London has more student currently studying in the city which as compare to New York & Sydney.

London's universities and higher education colleges offer high quality internationally recognised qualifications. With 42 higher education institutions, London's 54 Further, Adult and Sixth Form Colleges & around 170 British Accreditation Council, accredited Colleges & FE institution London offers one of the largest portfolios of education institutions in the world.

"London is home to more than 90,000 international students from over 200 different nations, more than any other city in the world. "

London's universities and higher education colleges provide a vibrant, creative and stimulating environment in which to develop your potential.

London offers solid foundation for building your future and boosting your career prospects, while establishing a global network of friends and contacts.

London offers students lifetime experience – and its not as expensive as you think. With a student card you can get thousands of discounts all over London – in cinemas, theatres and restaurants. You can save 30% off the price of travel on the Underground and buses when you buy a student photocard.

"London's universities offer high quality, internationally recognised qualifications. You can choose from over 30,000 courses and decide where, what and how you want to study."